- Currently in full-time ADR practice, including mediation, arbitration, insurance appraisal proceedings, neutral evaluation, mini-trials, factual investigation of sexual harassment / discrimination claims and all other forms of alternative dispute resolution.
- Trial attorney from the time admitted to the Bar in 1975 until becoming a District Judge in 1982. Practice was predominantly litigation in the areas of personal injury, property damage, medical malpractice (hospital liability), insurance, civil rights, construction and surety.
- President Utah State Bar, 2001-2002.
- Judge of the Third Judicial District from 1982 to 1992.
- Presiding Judge for the Third Judicial District from 1986 to 1990. The Third District comprises Salt Lake, Summit, and Tooele Counties and about one-half of Utah's population.
- Utah State Bar Association District Court Judge of the Year, 1989.
ALTERNATIVE DISPUTE RESOLUTION EXPERIENCE:
- Panel of Arbitrators, U.S. District Court for the District of Utah.
- Master Mediator status with Utah States Courts
- Over 1100 cases arbitrated or mediated.
- Instructor in many dispute resolution seminars
TYPES OF CASES ARBITRATED OR MEDIATED:
- Many personal injury claims, including car accidents, product liability claims, workplace injuries, railroad injuries (crossing and FELA) and premises liability claims involving brain injuries, back and neck injuries, and many other injuries.
- Numerous construction disputes.
- Numerous probate disputes.
- Insurance coverage disputes.
- Insurance appraisal hearings on large property damage claims.
- Employment, sexual harassment and wrongful termination disputes. Served as a hearing officer for division of $2,500,000 among 437 claimants in a settlement of an employment dispute. Served on a contractually established panel for arbitration of contract disputes between Kennecott Utah Copper and the Unions representing Kennecott workers.
- Condemnation disputes between landowners and governmental entities, including a complex property, condemnation and environmental lawsuit between a landowner, several agencies of the federal government and the Utah Department of Transportation.
- Utility rate disputes including a dispute between a utility and the Utah Department of Public Utilities that resulted in a settlement of $52,000,000.
OTHER LEGALLY RELATED ACTIVITIES:
- Member of Utah State Legislature
- Member of Judicial Council, 1999 - 2000
- Instructor, Litigation Section of Utah State Bar, Trial Academy.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah.
- Commission on Criminal and Juvenile Justice, 1984-1992.
- National Award from Department of Justice for outstanding advocacy for victims of crime, 1990.
- Constitutional Revision Commission, 2003 - present.
- Utah Sentencing Commission, 2004 - present
- Supreme Court Committee on Professionalism, 2002- present.
- University of Utah College of Law; Juris Doctor, 1975.
- Order of the Coif
- Associate Editor, Utah Law Review, 1974-75.
- Brigham Young University; B.A